Funding and Aid

What should all students know about funding and aid?

If provided, graduate assistantships are designed to provide experience directly relevant to their advisor’s research. Income from assistantships may aid a student over the course of their studies; however, it is important for students to appreciate that assistantships, if provided, are not guaranteed. Summer funding may not be available or may be dispersed late into the summer.

All students attend the graduate program on a full-time basis, but students with assistantships may have their time organized differently. According to the graduate school, “The holder of a full assistantship devotes one half of available time to studies and one-half (approximately 20 hours per week) to assistantship duties, while the holder of a half assistantship ordinarily devotes three-quarters of available time to studies and one-quarter (approximately 10 hours per week) to assistantship duties.” Students with assistantships have a lower academic credit minimum (6 credits per semester versus 9 for unfunded) to accommodate their assistantship project.

What important notes should students consider?

We strongly encourage filling out your FAFSA as early in the application process as possible – even if you have not sent in applications for admission. The FAFSA application is a generic application. Do not forget to send FAFSA results to the school.

Students with Graduate Assistantships should be aware that school fees are not covered by a tuition waiver (but can be covered by student loans). The current rates for school fees are available at (typically amount to about $1,000). These are due prior to class registration.

The Office of Student Financial Aid Services typically offers loan money to both funded and unfunded students. This is based on anticipated needs for rent and other living expenses (more information available on the Financial Aid Website). The Office of Student Financial Aid Services will determine the amount you are eligible to receive (on average, funded students are offered under $10,000 each semester, which is split between subsidized and unsubsidized student loans).

Where can I get information about financial aid?

We strongly encourage filling out your FAFSA as early in the application process as possible – even if you have not sent in applications. Do not forget to send FAFSA results to the school.

How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

There is no formal application process for graduate assistantships in the Department of Kinesiology. Indicate your interest in a position on your application. A limited number of assistantships are available through the department. It is advisable to work with your prospective advisor to pursue assistantship opportunities that may be available.

What types of assistantships are available?

The majority of the available assistantship positions involve either research or teaching.  The experiences are outlined and managed by the faculty member and are similar in nature to the descriptions provided in the Graduate Overview.

On a limited basis, a small number of prospective students are hired outside of the department prior to starting a graduate degree.  Some graduate assistantships may be available for certified athletic trainers.  At the end of each spring semester, the Division of Athletics hires one strength and conditioning coach.  Other assistantships may also be available.  The expectations are outlined by the funding entity and discussed with the student’s academic advisor and research team prior to enrollment.

What are the financial benefits of an assistantship?

If awarded, students generally receive a half graduate assistantship and may receive a full assistantship. More information is available at

Outside Employment

The Residence Requirement of the University of Connecticut requires that a student devote “full-time effort to studies, without undue distraction caused by outside employment”. In addition, funded students may not work outside of their assistantship without prior approval from their advisor. According to this policy, your advisory committee may record and report a “description of the nature, extent, and period(s) of outside employment” to the graduate school as part of your Plan of Study. Please discuss your plans with your advisor in advance. We recommend that students inquire about loan programs available through Financial Aid to offset costs of attendance if necessary.

Who should I contact with additional questions?

We encourage you to fully explore the details of each program through this website and read more about the individual professors and their research.  Finally, please review the information on the How to Apply to Graduate Programs page to select an advisor who best matches your research interest.  Please contact that professor personally to express interest in their program.  We recommend telephone contact instead of email correspondence.